At the quarterly ECFA meeting held in Lumberton, six Eastern Carolina volunteer firefighters were awarded a special college tuition reimbursement through a joint effort of the NC Association of Fire Chiefs and the International Association of Fire Chiefs and the Volunteer Workforce Solutions (VWS) program. The program was a pilot to offer departments innovative ways to recruit and retain volunteer firefighters. ECFA board member and Eastern rep to the NCAFC Jennifer Smith made the presentation during the meeting.
- Christopher Florio, Knotts Island / Currituck Fire EMS
- Wayne Casey, Chinquapin VFR
- Joshua Nicholas, Rock Ridge VFD
- James McConnell, West of Newbern VFD
- Wesley Thornton, Grantham VFD
- James Miller, Rock Ridge VFD
This is a great recruitment and retention tool and the ECFA was happy to be a part of the program. To learn more about the Volunteer Workforce Solutions, click here.